Expedia is looking for a VAT Director to join Expedia’s VAT team focused on supporting Expedia’s Global Travel Business. Expedia’s Global Travel business brings together millions of travelers with millions of suppliers across various spectrums (i.e., lodging, air, car, leisure, etc.). The VAT Director will be key player on the Global VAT team. This position is located in Seattle, Washington.
The successful candidate will be able to clearly articulate his/her findings to executives through written and verbal communication. Ideal Candidate will develop a deep understanding of global business operations, financial results, and intercompany relationships and will work closely with the Finance, Accounting and financial systems and technology teams on the implementation of automated and scalable VAT processes and systems solutions for Expedia’s ecommerce travel platform.
- Interpret and advise important digital economy VAT legislative and policy proposals. Assist the public policy and business teams in defining and implementing appropriate strategies and solutions in response to new digital economy VAT rules.
- Research and document Expedia’s VAT technical positions relating to Expedia’s global travel business and operations and identify and implement required process, VAT controllership and compliance changes and improvements.
- Review intercompany and third-party contracts and make recommendations on tax clauses to agreements
- Assist in implementation of automated and scalable VAT processes and systems to both support Expedia’s rapid international growth economy around the world and to allow the business to react quickly to new and evolving digital economy VAT legislation and policy proposal.
- Coordinate with International Direct Tax and Transfer Pricing teams with respect to the VAT implications of potential acquisitions, investments and business expansions and restructurings.
- Partnering and providing VAT advice and operational implications to Expedia’s global travel business executive leaders, and working cross functionally with finance, treasury, legal teams, and external advisers on significant business and VAT impacts that are relevant to this executive group.
- Manage and consult with external tax advisors with respect to the potential impact of changes to Expedia’s business operations and the impact of new tax legislation, tax court decisions and administrative rulings and identify impacts to Expedia’s existing VAT processes and systems arising from these changes.
- Manage and direct VAT aspects of tax audits
- Research and document other international indirect taxes impacting Expedia’s global travel business portfolio such as local lodging and tourism taxes, stamp taxes and transfer taxes.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience with implementing automated VAT business processes and controls would be very desirable.
- A proven track record of collaborating and delivering results working as part of a cross functional team both in the local office and with the global organization.
- 12+ years of experience including public accounting or law firm experience. Industry experience in the technology or travel sector is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to distill complex VAT technical issues into simple concepts that business partners can understand and help operationalize.
- Global VAT/GST experience preferred with specific emphasis on Asia Pacific.
- A passion for travel and ecommerce technology platforms.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and quickly adapt to change
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Finance
Job Location: Seattle, WA, US
Application Deadline: N/A